Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Candidate Statement: Katie Brandes

This year’s inaugural ACS Moot Court Competition introduced me to ACS and the role it plays in creating discussion about important law and policy discussions at our school. I never had given much thought about felony disenfranchisement as a constitutional issue before joining ACS and taking part in the ACS Moot Court. Throughout the year I attended many ACS events because the topics immediately caught my eye amidst the many event emails. Many times an event caught my eye and then I would look at the sponsor list and ACS would be there. My experience participating in and volunteering at the competition as well as my experiences at ACS-sponsored events made me decide to run for an ACS Board position.

I would like to be the Finance Chair because of the role it serves on the Board. Finance Chair is the details person who ensures that money gets where it needs to go and the other board members have the funds they need to put on great ACS events. In college I ran the sailing team as a senior and was in charge of team finances and connections to the national organization as a junior. Because of this experience I understand the attention to detail and patience needed for a job that entails working closely with the administration and a national organization.

Labels: