Monday, March 28, 2005

Candidate Statement: Jennifer Bell

Name: Jenny Bell

Class: 2007

Phone: (914) 980-7580


Email: jlb2136@columbia.edu


Position(s) Desired: Vice President Membership Development, Treasurer


Statement of Interest (1-2 pages):
Please address the following two questions in your statement:
1. Why are you interested in serving on the ACS Board?
2. As a board member, what ideas for programming would you like to implement next year?

I am interested in serving on the ACS Board because I feel very strongly that the organization is important in advocating democratic ideas and rights. My past involvement in Common Cause/NY, C-PLAN at the Office of the Public Advocate and other like-minded organizations has affirmed my commitment to these ideals. In order to achieve the ACS goals, I believe the visibility of the organization needs to be improved and membership increased. I am very interested in spearheading this effort at Columbia.

I enjoy working as part of a team to make things happen. My experience with membership and planning social activities include membership chair of the Duke University Sailing Team and outreach chair and president of the Duke University Freeman Center for Jewish Life. As outreach chair of the Sailing Team, I created and implemented a development plan, which included a number of fundraising events. These efforts increased Team coffers, visibility and membership. As part of my responsibilities in connection with the Freeman Center, I coordinated student outreach, planned social events, and organized intellectual and social programs with students and university administrators and faculty. In addition, I oversaw the day-to-day finances of the organization, identified and solicited funding sources and wrote grant applications. I am looking forward to becoming an active participant in ACS and planning to devote the requisite time to fulfill my responsibilities.

My suggestions for upcoming programming include:
• Expand the 1L-2L pairing program
• Organize a field trip for orientation, such as a tour of the New York Times, to increase interest in the organization and interaction between members and new students
• Plan a panel or roundtable discussion, for example on the question “Is art speech?”
• Organize a breakfast series with distinguished ACS practitioners so law students can network
• Develop interactive, discussion oriented programming with other student groups so other groups can learn more about ACS
• Schedule monthly social activities (for example: BBQ, ice skating or other activity in Central Park) to increase camaraderie and engage students

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home