Saturday, March 31, 2007

Candidate Statement: Zahra Egal

Position: 3L Rep

I have had a longstanding interest in progressive politics and am very enthusiastic about the agenda, objectives and approach of the American Constitution Society. I was introduced to ACS while still in college and became involved with the organization as a Moot Court Assistant during 1L. Last summer, I attended the ACS Convention where I made connections with several other chapter leaders, met many of the speakers we had over the last year, and planned social events as a Washington, DC Summer Leader for ACS.

Over the last year as Vice President, I have continued to have positive experiences. I assisted in planning several substantive events and was responsible for bringing Tom Goldstein and David Cole to Columbia. However, my primary responsibility as Vice President was membership development. As part of this role, I planned most of the ACS social events, created the mentorship program, informed people about ACS National and organized the 1L Committee.

I believe that I would be an asset to ACS as a 3L representative. I have knowledge of the organization at the National level as well as the Columbia level. I have several ideas for events next year, including expanding the diversity of our speaker list to more policymakers and activists. As advisor to the 1L Committee, I developed personal relationships with many of the future leaders of ACS and believe that position prepared me to be a resource, as it taught me to guide without leading or controlling. I hope to have your support and would be happy to give you mine as your 3L representative.

Labels: