Saturday, March 31, 2007

Candidate Statement: Katie Sullivan

Position: External Relations Chair

Vice President Statement:
My experience this past year as co-assistant media chair with ACS has shown my both that I want to be more involved in this organization and that I’d like to be involved in a different way. I think I’d bring two important traits to the vice president role with ACS: My organizational skills and my desire to work on the social side of this group. Maintaining databases, organizing sign-up sheets, keeping track of dues – these things appeal to the hyper-organized part of me. And I have experience performing these functions for groups, starting all the way back in high school, when I was secretary for National Honor Society. (Okay, I’m a dork…isn’t that what this is all about?) I think the academic event planning side of this group is amazing, but that’s not where my talents would be best utilized; I’d like to be more involved with the membership side. I also think I could bring a lot to the social aspects of ACS – I’m friendly (I hope you feel the same way) and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know everyone involved with this group. I think this past semester was great, socially, and I’d like to continue having events like the parties at Jon and Tim’s apartments while also adding more for the moot court participants and for 1Ls early next semester. I think a happy hour for the mooters right after they find out they’ve been selected for the program would be a great way to start things off, and also for them to get to know their editors. I did the ACS moot court program this year, so I think I’d be well positioned to work on retention strategies. Finally, I hope to make it to the national convention this year, and keep our excellent relationship with national leadership. Being a part of ACS has been one of the most rewarding parts of my law school experience so far, and I hope to be able to keeping working with all of you as vice president!

External Relations Chair Statement:
I think I have the personality and the organizational skills to be an excellent liaison to other chapters of ACS and our practitioner’s community. I’m also interested in keeping track of our chapter’s alumni, both as part of the mentorship program and for networking and other events. My experience this past year as co-assistant media chair with ACS has shown my both that I want to be more involved in this organization and that I’d like to be involved in a different way. I also feel that the external relations chair could take some of the weight off of the vice president in terms of social planning, and if I’m elected for this chair I would love to be involved with that. Social planning in general seems to fit in with the external relations chair’s responsibilities, and I think many of the groups the chair liaises with – alumni, other chapters – would be good additions to/reasons to have social events. I’d love to expand the chair to include some of these correlated responsibilities.

Labels: